Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Two Kinds of Church Reformers

I'm a reformer, you're a reformer, wouldn't you like to be a reformer too! 

~~~~~~

[here's a few sort of raw thoughts I've been rolling around in my head....]

As long as I can remember being a Christian, about 32 years now (less a few years of rebellion in my later teens and early twenties) I've felt compelled to change things. My friends all know this about me. In some way or another I've been what many call a "church reformer." Some Christians are just fine with the way things are, and they might even love the good ole traditions of their church. And if you're not a church "reformer" you can definitely please God by just seeking to do His will in your own life. But others are restless souls by nature, and seem to constantly push the envelope. I've always been the latter. Unfortunately I pushed to far, and wound up way too judgmental. I've since repented of such a strong stance against...most everyone... and now have some thoughts about church reformers and church reforming in general.

Church reformers have been around as long as have churches. A church reformer is simply someone who feels like things need to change, and so they try to do something, anything, to change...the church. They try to change "THE" church, their own church, all churches, or entire denominations. Some try to change from within the church they feel needs to change, and others leave and try to start something entirely different. Whatever the case may be there are, IMHO, generally speaking, two types of church reformers. The first type is working for change but does not (generally speaking) believe every other type of church, or even their own church (if they are the type of reformer who is working from "within") is completely corrupt, misguided, hell-bound, and/or false churches. The second type of reformer basically... does. These are two pretty different outlooks on life as a whole, shaping the way a person sees other people, reads the scripture, and conducts their daily lives.

There are, of course, great levels of variation on how much "change" a church reformer thinks is needed, and how much work he or she is willing to do to see that change become a reality. Some go as far as to publish books on church reform, even start new churches, or new denominations. And others are compelled to only change the church they are in from one where (for example) ties are required on Sunday mornings, to one where ties are not. But they are both church reformers. Both of these (sort of) opposite ends of the "reformer" spectrum might have much of the same heart--one defined by love, acceptance, grace, and a dedication to Christ. For most of my life I've been surrounded by such good-hearted people as these, in the churches I grew up in, the colleges I attended, and even in my own family. They encouraged me to work for change but not end up on the side of condemnation and judgment. And I'm forever grateful. I'm also grateful for authors such as George Barna, Don Miller, Robert Banks, Frank Viola, Alan Hirsch, Gregory Boyd, and Francis Chan, (to name a few) who also call out quite loudly for change but never seem to cross the lines into a heart of judgmental-ism and general condemnation of those who do not agree with them. But I've also known (and came dangerously close to becoming) a church reformer of the much more judgmental sort.

The second type of church reformer is motivated by a desire for change, sure. But take a bowl of that motivation, mix in some heavy helpings of ambition, a dash of pride, a couple cups of scripture, and a spoon full of charisma and the result is often times a harsh indictment on all other churches, and the individuals who are there trying to serve God. The outlook changes as the new church is formed, or reformed, from one of being part of a larger Body of Christians around the world to one where the feelings is "we are... basically... it."  "Us four and no more" sort of thinking begins to rule the day. Once this church reformer is fixed in a place of judgment and condemnation upon everything and everyone else, the longer he or she stays with this frame of mind the harder it is to let go of it. I've bumped into these sort of reformers a few times in my adult life (and like I said came very close to becoming one myself) and have to say...I just don't think it's a healthy outlook. Sure Christ had lots of hard things to say about living a radical Christian life. But you can't just take 2000 years of church history, 33,000 denominations, and 8 billion people in the world, and create a centralized, know-it-all gospel, one where your church is the best representation of the Body on planet earth and if all people would just listen to you everything would perfect. I've been here, too. So I'm not just judging the judgmental. I'm speaking from experience.

What's most sad to me is the feelings I had, when I was slipping into this second sort of reformer, of hopelessness and loneliness. I remember thinking thoughts like, 'this is just sad. Jesus comes, does all that for us; the Spirit comes, starts a movement of Christ-followers, and 2000 years later and there's only a hand-full of Christians around the world.'  It's like the gospel message didn't work or something. Christ came to redeem the whole world but only about 7000 (or some small number) are actually redeemed. Why? Because they don't do things the way I think they should; or they don't believe the way I think they should believe. That's why. That's the real reason why. Not because it's actually true. But because I believed it was true. Fortunately, and because of God's GRACE, I don't see the world that way anymore. Now my days are filled with a sort of light-hearted joy, even a giddiness, at the thought that there are millions and millions of Christians and millions of good churches around the world, and through-out history. Sure, I'm still a church reformer at heart, and likely always will be; I'm just wired that way. But now I'm a much happier one!

So, if you're the first sort of church reformer, keep up the good work. As long as people are in the churches there will be a need for reform. It's a big part of the Spirit's work in the world. But if you're a church reformer of the second sort, it's not too late to let go of it. Church reform can be accomplished much more effectively, and with a whole lot more joy, when you don't see that which needs reforming as a lost cause, and/or a place void of God. Who are we to say where God is working or not, anyway?

What we can know for sure,
                   as we allow the Spirit to search our hearts,
                                         is do we really have the same "attitude as that of Christ Jesus"
                                                                                                 (Philippians 2:3).

After all, the most important place in need of constant reform is the human heart.

Food for thought.

No comments:

All Time Most Popular Posts

JUST FACTS!