Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Out of Our Mind for Christ

Have you ever fallen in love? I remember falling in love with April twelve years ago. I thought about her ALL the time; could not wait to see her, talk to her, listen to her, and just look at her face. Every single day the distance between us was painful. At times, I thought I was out of my mind. I wanted nothing more than to live my life for her and with her. So I proposed. And thank God...she said yes!

Perhaps you've had a similar experience with someone you fell in love with. April and I still dote on one another and have a wonderful marriage. But there is nothing like that feeling of first falling in love. It's the foundation for much of the future together. 

I like this verse. "If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God." David Crowder wrote a catchy song based on this verse. Check out this word -- "Convinced." There's a great, strong word. "Convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died." If you were to become convinced that someone died for you would it change your thoughts about that person? Sure would me. I would be compelled by their love for me. Well, it did actually happen-- someone DID in fact die for you and me -- Christ Himself, the Son of God.

Know what I think? He's the one out of His mind. Why would the Creator of the Universe create a way for me? Why would the Son voluntary become that Way and give up His life? Why? Because God's love compelled Him to send His Son. And Christ's love compelled Him to be crucified. Love compels. 

Any time Love compels us to action you can bet that act will be a self-less one. God showed us exactly what that sort of love looks like. And now we, the humbled forgiven vessels of His Spirit, are also compelled by that love. How could we possibly live for ourselves any longer, given the scope of God's loving action? We cannot. And so, in whatever way possible-- in every way the Spirit leads our hearts -- we give up our own mind. We loose our mind in order to have the mind of Christ. "If we are out of our mind, it's for YOU!"

We should not hold back. We should give into Christ's compelling love. And we should act on whatever that love, and God's Spirit, places in our conscience. 

Is there someone you need to love? Let Christ's love compel you.
Is there someone you need to forgive? Let Christ's love compel you. 
Is there someone you need to care for? Let Christ's love compel you. 
Is there someone you need to honor? Let Christ's love compel you. 

As Christ's love compels us to action, it will always look to the world that we are out of our mind. And that's ok, because we are, actually. We are out of our mind. But we're just following God's example. 

In my marriage, I continue to be out of my mind for April. I continue to let my heart compel me to love her more. I continue to try and live my life for her and not for myself. To the extent I do these things our love for one another grows, and our marriage becomes stronger. There is no difference with God, really. Now we get to think about God ALL the time; can't wait to see Him, talk to Him, listen to Him, and just look at His face. We live for Him... because he first died for us! 

Thank you, Father. Thank you, for your LOVE> 

No comments:

All Time Most Popular Posts

JUST FACTS!