Monday, January 10, 2011

Life, and Our Real Relationship with the Father


Ok, this Present Perfect book I started is really life-changing. No, it's not the book. It's just the simple reminder that we are, at this very moment, surrounded by the Presence of God. It is life-changing to remember several times a day that God is "right here," right with me in this moment.

Practicing the presence of God was made simi-popular by Brother Lawrence, I know. I read his book over a decade ago. But there is something profound about realizing how much time we do the opposite, how much time we don't think about God, and why. This is where Boyd draws such great attention to the tendencies of our flesh. We tend to think about the past or the future... most of the time. Well, maybe I do more than most, because I'm such a scatterbrain personality. Instead of ADHD I have ABHD: Attention Bankrupt Hyperactive Disorder.  But I bet I'm not alone in the tendency to think about either the past or the future more than the present. I started taking inventory of my thoughts, as Boyd suggests, and I was amazed at how much time I think about the past or the future, in place of the now. And as I took inventory I began to start drawing my focus back to the moment at hand, and then a step further to reminding myself that God is present in this very moment. The results of doing this practice of the presence of God is astounding to me. Here's why I think it is so life-changing.

We are talking about the very essence of our relationship with God. This goes way beyond those prayer times, or Bible studies, or church services. This is a daily walk with the Father, being in His heart and feeling His love, really FEELING His Love, not just knowing it's true but feeling His heart beat for me. And it's ok to feel His love, or to let ourselves feel His love, that is. Many of us won't even let ourselves feel His love, or imagine him speaking loving words to us. Why? Because of religion, because of lies we are told by the Powers, and by our own mind. But even Christ retreated to the quiet times to re-connect with the Father. And we can assume that Christ even practiced the presence of God (or maybe he didn't have to depending on your perspective). But he certainly says he could do "nothing apart from the Father." That's "nothing." Can I do "nothing apart from the Father?" Not hardly. So how do we get there, if you're like me? Boyd says, and I agree, that we get there through practice.

Think of the closest relationship you have. If it's a marriage partner or a best friend you didn't just accidentally end up with a good relationship. It took practice. It took time and questions, and dates, and outings, and conversations, and encouragement, and above all, it took you starting to believe with all your hear that that person truly loves you. It took letting that love in and giving it in return. That's practice. It's work and it's essential. The very same thing is true of our relationship with God.

When we talk about cultivating our "relationship with the Father;" of having quiet times or practicing the presence of God we are often tempted to think this is some idea from man. We think 'that's so evangelical' or that's extremely "charismatic" or pentecostal or whatever. But having a real, active, vibrant, love-relationship is NOT from the mind of man at all. Some denominations might have put there stamp on it, or preached it in a way which is memorable. But having a real relationship with God is from the mind of God, not man. So if it is from His mind then we must then strive to find out what He thinks about it. About how we go about cultivated a relationship with God. This is of vital importance for our own spiritual lives as well as for our role and purpose in the Body. For without a connection to the Father we are doomed to move in our own power and not his.

But how? I've heard it said a hundred thousand times that we need to have a relationship with God. And most of the time it's followed by something like "make time for him" or "read your Bible" or "pray without ceasing." Ok, that's all great and all, and perhaps that's all some people need to hear. But I've had an extremely difficult time with this "building a relationship with God" thing in the last ten years since I ended up with a wife, six kids, a business, and a community full of people. Who has time for those wonderful long times of prayer in the closet or walk in the park with God that we had in our twenties, or in the beginning when you first came to God? My life moves so fast now I can go days and not think about "growing my relationship with God." In comes God's voice through Boyd to stop thinking about the past or the future and think instead about right now, the present. Only the present is perfect. The present is where God is right now.

Listen to God's voice to you right now. Make yourself aware of His presence right now. Recall for just a moment what God did for you on Calvary. Now imagine He is speaking to you - What is He saying? Now say that same thing back. Now keep this moment for another moment. And then another. This is an amazing practice.

Tonight I was with two brothers and we were talking about much to do about nothing. Then suddenly I remembered to make myself aware of God's presence. As I listened to my friend talking, in my mind I thought for a moment about God. Then I asked God in my mind to speak and suddenly I thought about Song of Songs. "Song of Songs?" really. So I brought it up. Suddenly our conversation went deep into the nature and depth of God's love for us, and how we are called into a love-affair with the Father. Wow. That was God's voice to each of us, and so encouraging. For me that was a perfect ending to a beautiful snowy day, talking about God's love with brothers. Which reminds me of why building our relationship with God is the most important corporate activity we can ever engage in. But that's the topic of a future post. "Working on our personal relationship with God is the most important corporate activity we can engage in."


Where can I go from your Spirit? 
   Where can I flee from your presence? 
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; 
   if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, 
   if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
10 even there your hand will guide me, 
   your right hand will hold me fast. 

No comments:

All Time Most Popular Posts

JUST FACTS!